A record or account of the ancestry and descent of a person, family, group, etc.
Using the tools available to me for free on the web, and family contacts, I have started to develop a page or two dedicated to the ARTHUR-EARL family tree. Obviously I will start with myself and the girls and work outwards.
Progress is slow but you can view the latest version of the ARTHUR tree in HTML format thanks to Ged2Web. If anyone thinks they can contribute to my efforts, or they spot an error or omission, please email email@example.com with the subject line 'Genealogy'. I will gladly review any submissions.
- FreeBMD: Free internet search of the Civil Registration index of births, marriages and deaths for England and Wales.
- FreeCen: Free internet search of the 19th century UK census returns. The first UK census to include names and other details of UK residents took place in 1841. Since then, a census has been held every ten years.
- FreeReg: Free Internet searches of baptism, marriage, and burial records, which have been extracted from parish registers, non-conformist records and other relevant sources in the UK.
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission: men and women of the Commonwealth forces who died in the First and Second World Wars
- Family History UK Forum: Genealogy help forum
- General Register Office: Order copy certificates
- UK BMD: This site provides 2500+ links to websites that offer on-line transcriptions of UK births, marriages, deaths and censuses.
Software & Tools
- My Family Tree: My Family Tree is a genealogy application for Windows®. It has been carefully designed to help you quickly create your family tree using a simple and intuitive interface.
- GEDCOM Validator: GEDCOM Validator is a free tool for checking a GEDCOM file for problems which could lead to data loss when transferring files between different genealogy applications.
- Ged2Web: Ged2web is program for generating a set of web pages from a GEDCOM file.
- Ancestry.co.uk: (Subscription required) Top Tip: Visit your local library they may have free access for a nominal cost.
- Find My Past: Genealogy & Ancestry
- Family Search: Genealogy & Ancestry
- GENUKI: provides a virtual reference library of genealogical information of particular relevance to the UK and Ireland.
- The National Archives
- The British Library